So today I went to get my nails done. At, of course, an Asian Nail salon ( I really haven’t found any other kind!). First, I drove half an hour to the salon where I like to go. It was completely closed on a tuesday afternoon?!! About this time I realized there have never been posted hours. Whatever! Really I’m not very loyal to any one salon — I had only been to “happi nails” one previous time, but that will be the end of that Salon.
ok — so now I’ve driven all this way and have no place to get my nails done and have no place to go. So I am determined to find another nail place. I dont want to go to any nasty, dirty salon. But luckily in America our obsession with acrylic and nail polish runs wide and deep. I mean really there is a nail salon on every corner in populated America, and Tennessee is no exception! Southern Women must have their Beauty fixes. Lipstick, long nails, and lots of bleach. So I start scouting nail salons in this town where I don’t live – slowly driving by each shop I run across, to see if the salon is dodgy or not. I felt like I was a stalker! And how was I really supposed to know by just looking in the window?! I was really releaved when one store I was ”stalking” was still under construction.
In the process of zig zagging between shops in a two block radius I made an illegal lane change in front of a cop!!! ahh ! Luckily he didn’t follow me! OOPS!!!! ahhh Vanity… what lengths we will go to.
Finally I find “Kathy’s Nails” — where no one named Kathy works.
The asian nail salon is always an interesting experience. I always want to know where the people come from — if they are from the same country, in the same family, what language they are speaking, how they got into the nail business, if this is really just a bad form of imigration and slavery. I can’t even ask any remotely leading questions though, because I can’t even understand what I’ve been told my bill is at the end of the visit! I just hand over my credit card and wait for the reciept to show me what I’m going to be charged for this cultural experience.
ok…. more coming soon, but if i ever plan on making it to work tommorrow I must go to bed NOW!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment