So I am techinically a Damn Yankee... I came from the north to the south and have not left.
Now if you were confused by the first sentence of this post it is because you haven't had anyone explain to you the difference between "yankee," and"damn yankee." You're clearly not a southerner.
Southerners have some of there own colloquiallisms that I find particularly fun.
Po-Po (a.k.a- Police)
Pa-Pa (Grandpa)
Fixin' (verb- I'm going to do something)
Pitch a fit (thrown a tantrum, have a hissy fit)
Love me some .... ( fill in what ever you love. i.e.- peanut butter, jewlery etc..)
BBQ vs. Cookout (unless you are smoking meat and making sauce you are having a cookout)
Kroger (widley accepted term for any grocery store)
Any city with 'ville' on the end -- pronounced vul.
He's a mess... (anything a little out of order or crazy)
Over served ( You're never drunk, just over served)
Bless her heart... (then fill in something rude. It's kind of like saying no offense but...)
There are many more, but these are the ones on the top of my mind.
However, there is one more term I ran across the other day that I think is great.
"come to Jesus talk"
In a conversation you might say "We are going to have to have a come to Jesus talk with billy."
A "come to Jesus talk" is an intervening talk. It is like having the guilt of a sermon layed on you without being at church. It is meant to get you back to the 'straight and narrow.'
So if you ever have to have a chastizing, intervening, or guilt ladden chat with someone, this is the southern term for you!
:)
2 comments:
Yea, I'll teach you hundreds of those if you hang around! I'm trying to be an undamn yankee and rid myself of all Southern talk!!;) anyway, later chikN head
You forgot "over served"!!! And what IS the difference between a regular Yankee and a damned one? Please help us poor non-southerners to understand!!!
Post a Comment